Sunday 9 October 2016

Winnie and Walter - 2016 Card Making Day Challenge - CASE with Lydia

Hi everyone, I didn't think I was going to be able to do it but I finally found some time today to make some cards for the Winnie and Walter Card Making Day Challenges!!!


I've always been a huge fan of Winnie and Walter products and really enjoy entering their challenges. When I saw that WCMD fell right in the middle of the school holidays I cringed, knowing full well that I would be scrambling to find time to make all those cards. Well, today turned into a rainy day and the kids were chilling watching movies for their final holiday day, so I quietly made cards in the background....

This first card is for the CASE with Lydia Challenge. She wanted you to CASE any card on the Winnie and Walter blog. I didn't think I would be able to choose just one but after seeing the Centre Stage with Vanessa Menhorn post, I knew I had found 'the one'!!



This is the card by Vanessa that I fell in love with. Pink and grey is one of my favourite colour combos and I loved how she painted the grey stripes. So after lots of fiddling and painting, this is what I came up with:


I started off by cutting a piece of water colour CS the same size as the card front. I used Distress Ink 'Hickory Smoke' with a large brush and water to paint the background. I couldn't get the paint as dark as I wanted but still loved the effect. Once the panel was dry I adhered it to the card front.

Next I stamped the birds on water colour CS with black ink and then with Versamark ink over top, so I could heat emboss with clear powder. I used Distress Inks 'Barn Door' and 'Gathered Twigs' to paint them and then fussy cut them out. Next I stamped the flowers with Distress Ink 'Picked Raspberry' straight on to the water colour CS and used a wet brush to pull the colour from the stamped image. This is one of my favourite ways to colour flowers. I then fussy cut them out too.

To put this all together I stamped the sentiment and heat embossed with Copper. The flowers were adhered to the card front and the birds popped up on foam tape. Lastly I glued on some gold sequins for a bit more shine. I really hope Vanessa likes how I was inspired by her amazing card!!

The bird and sentiment stamps are from Winnie and Walter 'So Tweet with Evelin T. Designs'. The flower stamps are also from W&W 'In Bloom: Addie's Garden'. The sequins are from Pretty Pink Posh.

I'm also including in this post a photo of my craft area this afternoon for the Craftie Challenge. I didn't get any time to create on WCMD, so today felt like my 'belated' day devoted to my hobby. I don't think I've ever had such a messy desk but I thought if I stopped long enough to clean up after each card (like I usually do) someone would think I was finished and ask me to make them a sandwich etc....so I just kept going!!!!


Time to go get the kids into bed! We all have to get up early tomorrow morning and after two weeks of sleeping in, its going to be hard!!! I was going to garden tomorrow but have decided to give myself the day off and spend it catching up on emails, making cards and watching some tv. So much easier to do all that on my own. Fingers crossed we get up in time tomorrow!!

Take care
Shona
 




 

4 comments:

  1. EXcellent...love your card and your work space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your take on Vanessa's card and I can fully relate to the mess on your craft table. I cleared out a mess before I started on my W&W challenge cards and now I have to do it again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful card Shona ! I love your soft background and I think it is just perfect like that. I also love your design with the flowers and the birdies. So delicate ! What a great idea how your colored your flowers, I have to give it a try !
    I love your craft area photo, it reminds me so much mine : the more I go on with my card the less space I have on my desk !
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, adorable card!! .. and I love the workspace is - wish my table was as big too!! :)

    ReplyDelete